I wish I could take credit for dreaming up these adorable ornaments but I can’t. All I can say is thank goodness for Pinterest! These mini hat ornaments are a snap to create, they’re inexpensive and they’re easy enough for kids to make. I’m confident that you all have tons of yarn stashed away in your crafting boxes. This is the perfect project for using up all those stray pieces of yarn that you can’t bring yourself to throw away.
- Yarn cut into 10″-12″ pieces
- Paper towel or toilet paper roll cut into 1/2″ rings
- Cotton balls or tissue paper
- Twine for hanging
- Fold a piece of yarn in half.
- Feed it into the ring and pull the ends through.
- Repeat until the ring is completely covered with yarn.
- Pull the yarn through the ring.
- Use cotton balls or rolled up tissue paper to create a ball–this will give the hat its shape.
- Tie a piece of yarn tightly around the hat, just above the ball.
- Trim the yarn off the top to make the pompom.
- Thread the twine through the top and you’ve got a mini hat ornament!
There are all kinds of variations you can incorporate into this project: use ribbon instead of twine, use alternating colors of yarn, try yarn with a pattern…get creative!